2013 Census ethnic group profiles provide an overview of the different ethnic groups living in New Zealand. Get information on topics such as population and geography, birthplace, education, and housing.
Data is available for all ethnic groups that have a population of at least 100 people.
An ethnic group is made up of people who have some or all of the following:
- a shared culture, such as traditions, customs, beliefs, or language
- a common ancestry or history
- a similar geographic, tribal, or clan origin.
The census asks people to state the ethnic group or groups they belong to. People can select ethnic groups from a list and write in additional ethnicities. Each ethnic group includes all those who have identified with it, so people may be counted in more than one group.
Ethnic group profile list
Use the list below to find information about ethnic groups you are interested in:
- use the plus icon next to each major ethnic group to expand the list
- click on an ethnic group to read the profile for that ethnic group.