- In Canterbury Region, 68.2 percent of households in occupied private dwellings owned the dwelling or held it in a family trust.
- For New Zealand as a whole, 64.8 percent of households in occupied private dwellings owned the dwelling or held it in a family trust.
- For households in Canterbury Region who rented the dwelling that they lived in, the median weekly rent paid was $280. This compared with $280 for New Zealand as a whole.
Home ownership by household
Canterbury Region and New Zealand
Note: All figures are for households in occupied private dwellings.
This data has been randomly rounded to protect confidentiality. Individual figures may not add up to totals, and values for the same data may vary in different text, tables and graphs.
Building consent data for the year ended December 2013 showed that:
- The total number of building consents issued for dwellings, including apartments, in Canterbury Region was 5,759.
- The total number of building consents issued for apartments in Canterbury Region was 278.
- The total value of residential building work in Canterbury Region was $2,055,511,089.
- The total value of non-residential building work in Canterbury Region was $1,056,184,134.
Note: Building consent data is obtained from all accredited building consent authorities (ie territorial authorities) and is compiled if the building consent issued is valued over $5000. See data quality information on building consents.