2013 Census QuickStats about national highlights
Embargoed until 10:45am – 03 December 2013
Home ownership continues to fall
- In 2013, 64.8 percent of households owned their home or held it in a family trust, down from 66.9 percent in 2006.
- The percentage of households who owned their home dropped to 49.9 percent in 2013 from 54.5 percent in 2006.
- Of those households who owned their home, 56.4 percent had a mortgage, and 43.6 percent did not have a mortgage.
- There were 215,283 households (14.8 percent) that reported holding their home in a family trust.
- Over a third of households (35.2 percent) did not own their home. This was an increase from 33.1 percent in 2006. Most households who did not own their home were renting (453,135 households).The rest of this category was made up of households who were not paying rent, and a small number of households who did not indicate whether they were paying rent.