Dallas was appointed Acting Government Statistician and Chief Executive (CE) by the State Services Commission while a new CE is recruited. Geoff Bascand, the previous CE, moved to a new role with the Reserve Bank in May 2013.
Dallas Welch joined Statistics NZ in 1983, progressing from an assistant research officer in Price Index Development to Deputy Government Statistician of Organisation Direction in 2010.
Before being appointed Acting Government Statistician, Dallas was seconded as Performance Review Manager at the State Services Commission.
Dallas's previous roles at Statistics NZ include:
- Deputy Government Statistician, Organisation Direction
- Deputy Government Statistician, Macroeconomic and Environment Statistics
- Deputy Government Statistician, Industry and Labour Statistics
- Acting General Manager, Corporate Services
- Acting General Manager, Statistical and Methodology Services
- General Manager, Statistics NZ Christchurch
- General Manager, Transition Programme
- Deputy Government Statistician, Social and Population Statistics
- Group Manager, Information and Technology Services.
Dallas has a Master of Commerce (Hons) in economics and a teaching diploma (with distinction). She is a member of the New Zealand Association of Economists, the Population Association of New Zealand, and the Institute of Public Administration New Zealand.
Duties of the Government Statistician
Section 14 of the Statistics Act 1975 sets out the duties of the Government Statistician.
Statutory Independence of the Government Statistician
Section 15 of the Statistics Act 1975 gives the Government Statistician sole responsibility for statistical processes.