Consumers Price Index: March 2009 quarter
Embargoed until 10:45am – 17 April 2009
In the March 2009 quarter compared with the December 2008 quarter:
- The Consumers Price Index (CPI) rose 0.3 percent.
- Food prices rose 1.2 percent, with the main contribution coming from higher prices for grocery food.
- Alcoholic beverage and tobacco prices rose 1.8 percent, driven by higher prices for cigarettes.
- Transport prices fell 1.5 percent, due mainly to lower prices for international air transport.
From the March 2008 quarter to the March 2009 quarter:
- The CPI increased 3.0 percent.
||17 April 2009|