Statistics NZ is changing the content and titles of the annual national accounts releases.
The changes mean that closely related economic statistics will be presented together, which will make the releases more coherent for users. The quarterly Gross Domestic Product information release has not changed.
Please email email@example.com for more information on these changes.
The new releases
Two annual national accounts releases will be published on 21 November 2012:
- National Accounts (Income and Expenditure): Year ended March 2012. This replaces the Institutional Sector Accounts release.
- National Accounts (Industry Benchmarks): Year ended March 2010. This replaces the National Accounts release.
These changes were signalled earlier this year and have been finalised after incorporating feedback received from key users.
Why the content is changing
All statistics currently provided in both releases will still be available. However, some statistics that were in the National Accounts release will be available in the National Accounts (Income and Expenditure) release, rather than National Accounts (Industry Benchmarks). This change is to group related statistics together – for easier analysis of the data in its context. This will also improve the prominence of annual benchmarks that feed into the quarterly accounts.
The National Accounts (Income and Expenditure) release will contain provisional estimates to the March 2012 year for national economic aggregates and detailed institutional sector accounts. It provides the production, income and outlay, and capital accounts for the six sectors of the economy. These sectors are non-financial corporations, financial corporations, government, non-profit institutions serving households, households, and the rest of the world.
The National Accounts (Industry Benchmarks) release will contain comprehensive industry data that has been analysed in a supply-use balancing framework. It provides current price estimates of GDP and its components. Business investment, capital stock, and government and private consumption are compiled at a detailed level. It provides benchmarks that feed into quarterly GDP statistics. following GDP.These statistics will be available to the March 2010 year.
Both annual releases will be available from the National accounts webpage.
Summary of major changes
- The tables for the consolidated accounts of the nation, which record the incomes earned by various groups within the economy, their consumption and investment, and the economic relationship with the rest of the world, will now be included in the National Accounts (Income and Expenditure) release.
- Provisional estimates for selected institutional sectors and variables are now in National Accounts (Income and Expenditure).
- The following information will now be in National Accounts (Industry Benchmarks):
- industry by sector of ownership breakdown of contribution to GDP
- industry by asset type breakdowns for capital stock variables
- sector of ownership breakdowns (market/non-market and private/central government/local government) for capital stock variables.
Tables included in the releases
Here is a summary of the content of the Excel tables that will be included in the two releases.
|Data available in Excel tables with each release
|National Accounts (Income and Expenditure)
||Consolidated accounts of the nation
Income and outlay account
|By institutional sector
|Summary analysis tables
|National Accounts (Industry Benchmarks)
||Gross domestic product: production, income, and expenditure
Contribution to GDP
|Industry(3) by sector of ownership
Components of production and income GDP
Sector of ownership
- Gross fixed capital formation
- Net capital stock (current prices)
- Net capital stock (constant prices)
Industry(3) by asset type
Sector of ownership
|Taxes on production and imports
||By tax type
|1. Provisional estimates for 2011 and 2012 will be included for variables and sectors where data is available.
2. New Zealand Standard Industrial Output Categories (NZSIOC) level 2 from 1972-1986 and NZSIOC level 3 from 1987–2010.
3. NZSIOC level 1.
4. NZSIOC level 3.
Data available on Infoshare
All data in the information releases can be accessed on Infoshare. This will include a few additional series identifiers with data for the new tables in the releases. The new identifiers will be provided on Infoshare changes before the releases are published on 21 November 2012.
Additional data that will be available on Infoshare:
- government and household institutional sector accounts, 1987–2012
- industry valued added for mining industries at NZSIOC level 4, 2007–10
- consumption of fixed capital by industry and industry by asset type, 1972–2010
- gross fixed capital formation, net capital stock and consumption of fixed capital, by asset type and sector of ownership, 1972–2012.
Page updated 26 October 2012