In the year ended June 2016:
- General government net operating balance increased to a $7.0 billion surplus.
- Total operating income increased 7.0 percent, led by an increase in taxation.
- Total operating expenditure increased 2.9 percent as social benefits rose.
- Net acquisition of non-financial assets rose $0.2 billion to $4.2 billion.
- Net lending was $2.8 billion.
- Net worth totalled $196.1 billion at 30 June 2016.
- The ratio of net debt to nominal GDP increased to 33.7 percent at 30 June 2016.
Liz MacPherson, Government Statistician
16 December 2016