In the year ended December 2012:
- 14,745 abortions were performed in New Zealand, the lowest number since 1995 (13,652).
- The general abortion rate was 16.1 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, down from 17.3 per 1,000 in 2011.
- Women aged 20–24 years had the highest abortion rate (29 abortions per 1,000 women aged 20–24 years).
- The median age of women having an abortion was 25 years.
- Most abortions (62 percent) were a woman's first abortion.
- 55 percent of abortions were performed before the 10th week of the pregnancy.
|Dallas Welch (Mrs)
||19 June 2013
|Acting Government Statistician