In the year ended December 2015:
- 13,155 abortions were performed in New Zealand, similar to 2014 (13,137).
- The general abortion rate was 14.2 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, down slightly from 14.4 per 1,000 in 2014.
- Women aged 20–24 years had the highest abortion rate (23 abortions per 1,000 women aged 20–24 years).
- Most abortions (63 percent) were a woman's first abortion.
- 55 percent of abortions were performed before the 10th week of the pregnancy.
- 18 percent of known pregnancies (live births, stillbirths, and abortions) ended in an abortion.
See the Abortions Statistics: Year ended December 2015 commentary and tables for more information.
Carol Slappendel, Acting Government Statistician
17 June 2016