On 31 March 2015, we revised the estimates in these Household Labour Force Survey information releases to account for the latest population estimates following the 2013 Census. We also introduced regional benchmarks to help improve the quality of our regional labour force estimates.
See Household Labour Force Survey population rebase from 2013 Census: Includes regional benchmarks for more information.
Note: We have discontinued this release. Content previously available in the Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS) release is now available in:
The HLFS releases provide New Zealand's official employment and unemployment statistics.
The latest releases contain tables on:
- people employed, unemployed, and not in labour force – actual, seasonally adjusted, and trend
- total people employed, unemployed and not in labour force by age group, ethnic group, and regional council area
- people employed, by sex, and industrial activity of place of employment
- persons employed full-time and part-time – seasonally adjusted
- the jobless (those without a job and wanting a job)
- total actual hours worked
- household statistics
Working-age population table
The Household Labour Force Survey (HLFS) estimated working-age population is based on national resident population estimates that are adjusted to be consistent with the scope of the HLFS. The working-age population is an estimate of the usually resident, non-institutionalised, civilian population of New Zealand aged 15 years and over. This table is updated quarterly.
Subscribe to our information releases.
Access time-series data from the Infoshare database.
Subject category: Work, income, and spending
Group: Household Labour Force Survey
Source: Household Labour Force Survey
Available from: March 1986
Geographic coverage: Regional
You can find previous releases dating back to December 2005 here. For releases before this please complete this request form.