In December 2012:
- The seasonally adjusted number of consents for new dwellings (including apartments) increased 9.4 percent in December 2012. Consents for non-apartment dwellings decreased 1.0 percent. Apartment numbers can vary a lot from month to month.
- 1,381 new dwellings (including apartments) were consented.
- 232 new apartments were consented, and just over half of these were in Auckland and Wellington.
Since the latest low point in March 2011, the trend for the number of consents for new dwellings including apartments has increased by 48 percent. The trend for new dwellings excluding apartments increased by 43 percent during the same period.
In the 2012 year compared with the 2011 year, the number of consents for new dwellings increased by 3,267 (24 percent) to 16,929. This was the largest number of new dwellings consented in a calendar year since 2008.
The regions with the largest number of new dwellings consented were:
- Auckland, up 810 (21 percent) to 4,582
- Canterbury, up 1,642 (69 percent) to 4,037.
30 January 2013