In October 2012:
- 1,639 new dwellings were consented, including 168 apartments (129 were retirement village units).
- There was a small fall of 1.5 percent in the seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings consented, including apartments.
- Earthquake-related consents identified in Canterbury totalled $52 million, including 45 new dwellings.
In October 2012 compared with October 2011:
- Canterbury region had the largest increase in the number of new dwellings consented, up 122.
- Retirement village units contributed to new dwelling increases in Manawatu-Wanganui, Bay of Plenty, and Otago regions.
- The value of residential building consents rose 29 percent, and non-residential building consents rose 42 percent.
30 November 2012