For February 2017, compared with February 2016:
- National guest nights were down 0.4 percent.
- Domestic guest nights were down 1.6 percent, and international guest nights were up 0.8 percent.
- North Island guest nights were up 1.0 percent, and South Island guest nights were down 2.2 percent.
- Six of the 12 regional areas had more guest nights.
- Three of the four accommodation types had fewer guest nights.
Last February had an extra day of trading, as 2016 was a leap year.
For the year ended February 2017, national guest nights were up 4.7 percent from the February 2016 year.
The trend for national guest nights was flat in February 2017. Seasonally adjusted guest nights fell 0.2 percent.
Liz Macpherson, Government Statistician
12 April 2017