Overseas trade statistics give you information about imports and exports of goods and services. Find out about:
- the value and quantity of imports, exports, and overseas cargo
- quarterly and annual changes in import and export volumes and prices
- trade surpluses and deficits.
Overseas merchandise trade
Information about the goods New Zealand imports and exports.
Overseas trade indexes
Information about changes in New Zealand imports and exports.
- Volume indexes measure changes in the level of goods that are exported and imported.
- Price indexes measure the change in prices of imports and exports and the terms of trade.
Terms of trade measure the changing volume of merchandise imports that can be funded by a fixed volume of merchandise exports.
Overseas cargo statistics
Information about the value and gross weight of all goods loaded or unloaded at New Zealand sea and airports.
International trade in services
Information about international trade in transport (including international movement of passengers and freight), travel, and commercial services.
International trade in goods and services contributes to New Zealand's Balance of Payments.
What goods and services statistics measure
Statistics NZ publishes statistics about trade in goods and services.
Statistics on trade in goods measure trade in physical items that can be bought or sold. For example, food or footwear.
We produce goods statistics using data from export and import entry documents lodged with the New Zealand Customs Service.
Statistics on trade in services measure transactions where no physical product is imported or exported, such as:
- spending by international tourists
- commercial services such as providing legal advice to a client overseas.
We survey businesses about the transport and commercial services they import and export. We combine data from a variety of sources to estimate travel services. Commercial services include different services such as computer, communication, financial, business and technical services, and royalties from intellectual property.