These releases provide statistics on the number of overseas visitors, New Zealand resident travellers, and permanent and long-term migrants entering or leaving New Zealand. These statistics are based on final counts of arrivals to and departures from New Zealand.
International travel and migration data – system change
International travel and migration data is now processed using a new and upgraded system, starting with August 2016 data.
This new system uses improved methodology, which takes greater account of travellers' history, as well as their intentions stated on the arrival and departure cards. It also makes more use of automation in processing and classifying passenger types.
See International Travel and Migration processing system changes in August 2016 in DataInfo+ for more information.
The latest releases contain tables on:
- number of arrivals and departures by passenger type
- net migration
- seasonally adjusted arrivals and departures
- overseas visitor arrivals by country of last permanent residence
- New Zealand resident short-term departures by country of main destination
- permanent and long-term migration by country of last/next permanent residence
- permanent and long-term migration by citizenship.
Subscribe to our information releases.
Access time-series data from the Infoshare database.
Subject categories: Tourism
Groups: International Travel and Migration
Source: New Zealand Customs Service
Available from: June 1998
Geographic coverage: National
Before June 2008 the International Travel and Migration release was titled External Migration. See External Migration – information releases for releases back to October 2005.
Please complete this request form if you would like access to older releases.