Statistics New Zealand has completed a review of vitals outputs (births, deaths, marriages, civil unions, and divorces) in Infoshare. Infoshare is a free online tool that provides access to a range of time series data. The purpose of the review was to ensure information remains relevant and easily accessible.
Vitals data is available from a number of subject groups in the Population folder from the Browse page of Infoshare. As a result of the review:
- three new subject groups have been created with revised content. These replace three of the original subject groups.
- the other three subject groups have been renamed and now also contain some additional tables.
New subject groups for vitals statistics
Three new subject groups became available in February 2010. The new groups are:
- Births - VSB (replaces Vital Statistics – Births - VTB)
- Deaths - VSD (replaces Vital Statistics – Deaths - VTD)
- Marriages, Civil unions, and Divorces - VSM (replaces Vital Statistics – Marriages - VTM).
Improvements in the new subject groups
- The new subject groups VSB, VSD, and VSM include tables not previously available in Infoshare. For example:
- live births, deaths, and marriages by month and year of occurrence (rather than registration)
- live births and deaths by District Health Board areas
- live births and deaths for the broad ethnic groups
- neonatal and post-neonatal deaths (by area and by ethnicity)
- civil unions time series.
- De facto and resident series have been combined into single time series.
- Some tables have been removed where usage was very low.
A complete list of tables available in VSB, VSD, and VSM is in the Excel file above "List of VSB VSD VSM tables."
Changes to vitals indices subject groups
- The following subject groups were renamed in February 2010 to more clearly indicate the content of the groups:
- Demography – Fertility Measures - DFM is now Birth Rates - DFM
- Demography – Mortality Measures - DMM is now Death Rates - DMM
- Demography – Marriage Rates - DMR is now Marriage and Divorce Rates - DMR.
- Additional tables are now available. For example:
- age-specific fertility rates by single year of age
- neonatal and post-neonatal death rates
- pregnancy rates.
- The series identifiers for the original series in DFM, DMM, and DMR have not changed.
A list of the new tables available in DFM, DMM, and DMR is in the Excel file above "List of new DFM DMM DMR tables."
If you do not have access to Excel, you may use the Excel file viewer to view, print, and export the contents of the file.
Location of data on Infoshare
Infoshare is available on the Statistics New Zealand website. The vitals subject groups are in the Population folder.
What help is available?
For further help, contact Anne Howard
Christchurch 03 964 8700
or the Information centre.