These information releases provide national population estimates, including quarterly and annual changes in the resident population, and estimated population numbers for selected age groups.
Note: National population estimates information releases are now only published yearly in mid-August for the June reference period. Quarterly updates are still available in Infoshare.
- Infoshare contains annual and quarterly updates of national population estimates by single-year of age, five-year age groups, and selected age groups. Select the following categories from the Infoshare homepage:
- Subject category: Population
- Group: Population Estimates
- Historical population estimates tables provide national population estimates for the year ended June (1937–2014) and December (1926–2014); annual estimated components of population change, 1961–2014; and total and Māori populations, 1858–2013 Censuses of Population and Dwellings.
The latest releases contain tables on:
- estimated resident population and population change
- estimated age composition.
Population estimates based on the 2013 Census of Population and Dwellings were first released in August 2014 for the June 2014 quarter. Included in this release were revised quarterly estimates back to September 2006, superseding previously published estimates that were based on the 2006 Census.
Subscribe to our information releases.
Access time-series data from the Infoshare database.
Subject category: Population
Group: Population Estimates
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Population Statistics Unit
Frequency: Quarterly to September 2012 quarter; annually from 2013
Available from: March 2003 quarter
Geographic coverage: National
Find previous releases dating back to December 2005. For releases before this please complete this request form.