The Classification Coding System (CSS) is a tool used by organisations, researchers, and users of official statistics to code commonly used standard classifications. These include industry, occupation, and geographic coding.
Download the CCS
Download the Classification Coding System (ZIP, 27.9MB).
Your use of the CSS must be in accordance with the licensing agreement in 'Available files' box on this page.
The installation instructions are in the 'Classification Coding System user guide' – see 'Available files' box on this page.
Intellectual property for the software resides with Statistics NZ. Please note that the content of the codefiles (in the CCS) contain descriptions from a variety of sources, including specific survey responses and misspellings. The inclusion of these descriptions in no way implies or represents the expression of any opinion by Statistics NZ.
If you have any questions about the CCS, please email email@example.com.
Features of the CCS
The CCS provides:
- a stand-alone system for coding standard classifications
- an automatic coding function
- the ability to export results.
Standard classifications in the CCS
- Country (2 Alpha) – NZSCC2A99
- Country (4 Numeric) – NZSCC4A99
- Currency – CURRENCY
- Ethnicity – ETHNIC05
- Industry – ANZSIC96/ANZSIC06 dual-coding
- Industry – ANZSIC06
- Industry – ANZSIC96
- Iwi – IWI
- Language – LANGUAGE99
- Meshblock – MB06, MB13
- Occupation – NZSCO99/ISCO dual-coding
- Occupation – NZSCO99 (3 digit)
- Occupation – ANZSCO (6 digit)
- Occupation – ANZSCO (3 digit)
- Occupation – NZSCO99/ANZSCO dual coding
- Occupied dwelling type - OCCDWELTYPE
- Product (Central Product Classification) – CPC
- Qualifications (Post-school qualifications – level) – NZREG
- Qualifications (Post-school qualifications – subject) – NZSCED.FIELD
- Qualifications (School qualification) – NZREG.SCHOOL
- Relationship – RELAT08
- Religious Affiliation – RELIGAFF
- Research (Field of study) – ANZSRC.FOR
- Research (Socio-economic objective) – ANZSRC.SEO
- Time use – ACTUS
Page updated 3 August 2015