Why are you carrying out this survey?
We carry out this survey to provide timely short-term indicator statistics on businesses involved in a range of activities. The survey provides quarterly data on:
- the value of total sales
- purchases and operating expenditure
- salaries and wages
- earnings before interest and tax (EBIT).
Who takes part in the survey? How did you select me?
Selected businesses take part in this survey. There are around 280,000 businesses in the industries covered by this survey. At the end of each calendar quarter, we select large businesses in the industry to take part. The sample size varies for each quarter – it is usually around 700 businesses, and covers the following industries:
- agriculture, forestry, and fishing
- electricity, gas, water, and waste services
- transport, postal, and warehousing
- information media and telecommunications
- rental, hiring, and real estate services
- professional, scientific, and technical services
- administrative and support services
- education and training
- health care and social assistance
- arts, recreation, and other services.
What if my business is not engaged in the covered industries?
Please contact our survey help desk at 0800 809 464 or firstname.lastname@example.org if your business is not engaged in the covered industries. We will check that our records of your business are correct.
When do you carry out the survey?
The survey is carried out every quarter.
How can I complete the survey questionnaire?
You can complete the survey questionnaire by filling in the online form.
What do I need to complete the survey online?
Most computers and browsers can be used to complete the survey online. The survey has been tested and optimised for the following internet browsers:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11
- Firefox 47.0 and above
- Google Chrome v51.0.27 and above
- Safari 5.1.7 and above
The minimum security requirement is using an SSL enabled browser capable of 128 bit encryption.
Can I print out my survey?
Yes, you can print out your survey.
- At any stage when you are completing the questionnaire, you can print using your internet browser’s print function.
- You can also print out your questionnaire with the information you have entered immediately after you submit it, just print the page 'thanking you for the submission' and it will include the questionnaire.
However there are limitations on what you can print.
- Due to browser limitations and differences, you might not be able to print all of the questionnaire and your answers.
- Once you have completed the survey and leave the survey website you will not be able to access the information you have submitted to Statistics NZ.
Published 18 October 2016