Why are you carrying out this survey?
We carry out this survey to collect information from New Zealand resident enterprises about their international investment. The enterprises are from the business sectors:
Combined statistics from this survey will:
- enable us to publish data for Balance of Payments and International Investment Position quarterly and annually
- help the government and business community formulate policies, and monitor and analyse performance of the economy
- be used to assess New Zealand’s economic performance and credit worthiness by international organisations like the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, and credit-rating agencies.
Who takes part in the survey? How did you select me?
The population size for this survey is approximately 4,000. Of these, we select 500 to participate in the survey.
All New Zealand banks, and other businesses with significant international balance sheets are selected. These are:
- New Zealand businesses located in New Zealand that are wholly or partly foreign owned, including New Zealand branches of overseas businesses
- New Zealand businesses that have ownership interests in businesses located overseas, including their branches
- those New Zealand businesses that have financial asset and liability positions with overseas residents
- where groups of businesses are involved, the business selected to participate is normally the top New Zealand business of the group. This business will have to report for the whole New Zealand group, unless circumstances require members to report separately.
When do you carry out the survey?
The survey is carried out every quarter.
How can I complete the survey questionnaire?
You can complete the survey questionnaire by filling in either a paper or electronic (Excel) form.
Page updated 8 April 2016