Why are you carrying out this survey?
We carry out the Quarterly Nominees Survey to get data to incorporate into Balance of Payments (BOP) and International Investment Position (IIP) statistics. Survey results contribute to the measurement of:
- New Zealand’s international investment position (balance sheet with the rest of the world)
- dividends earned by overseas shareholders from their New Zealand shareholdings
- the buying and selling by overseas investors of shares (equity) issued by New Zealand businesses.
The BOP and IIP are used:
- domestically, by those engaged in financial market operation, policy development, and the provision of advice and analysis. This includes New Zealand government agencies, especially the Treasury and the Reserve Bank
- internationally, by major credit rating agencies in their assessments of New Zealand, and by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its economic monitoring and assessment role.
The results are important because of the size of our current account deficit. The current account deficit shows the extent to which New Zealand is financed from offshore.
Who takes part in the survey? How did you select me?
This survey selects New Zealand businesses that act as nominees and hold significant numbers of shares in New Zealand businesses on behalf of overseas beneficial owners.
When do you carry out the survey?
The survey is carried out every quarter.
How can I complete the survey questionnaire?
You can complete the survey questionnaire by filling in either a paper or electronic (Excel) form.
Page updated 23 March 2016